The dirty deets of sippy cups.

Last night we had a nasty little scare with our two year old, Miles, so I thought it was the perfect time for this sippy cup PSA that we, unfortunately, learned the hard way about three years ago! 

And don’t worry – Miles is fine! What we initially thought were blueberries or raisins  {mold crossed our minds too!} shoved in the mouth piece of his water bottle ended up being two little magnets. Wait. What the – ? Where the – ? When the – ? Ugh. We have so many questions! But after some thorough Googling, we found that as long as he didn’t choke on them {thank God they were too small to be a choking hazard!}, the only other concerns would be nausea, stomach pain, and flu-like symptoms. He hae none of those and ACTUALLY slept all the way through the night last night for the first time in months so he’s actually doing great! And all this madness came after Harper got a nice little goose-egg and split on her head from the edge of the coffee table while we were having a dance party. And to be honest, this kind of chaos is pretty standard for a weeknight in our house. Good Lord I’m lucky I don’t have stress ulcers eating away at my insides. Parenting is not for the weak-hearted, that’s for sure!

Anyway! On to the PSA. How many of us have laughed and rolled our eyes every time we open a new water bottle or sippy cup for the kids and see the VERY detailed instruction card? I mean…they only include the instructions because there are actually idiots out there who need them, right? But anyone who needs instructions for a CUP probably shouldn’t be raising a human, right? Well, no. I will admit I had NEVER read the instructions until the day I found out I was “cleaning” their cups all wrong! And I’m not talking like “oops, I put it on the bottom rack of the dishwasher instead of the top rack.” I’m talking the difference between your child drinking out of a clean cup and your child drinking out of a cup with food build-up, mildew, and HIDDEN BLACK MOLD.

So, let’s just dive right in. I’m going to go out on a ledge and say if you don’t feel like you’re on the verge of breaking the valves on the cup or tearing the straw when you disassemble the lids, then you’re not taking them all the way apart. Now there are some cups like the purple one below that don’t require any disassembly or the first blue one with only one valve – you can just rinse, and pop out the one piece and throw them in the dishwasher. Easy peasy. These cups are ideal but aren’t typically used until your kiddo is a little older {2ish or older; maybe younger, I don’t know – it may actually just be personal preference!}.


Let’s focus on the others. Take a look at the images below showing how far you should actually be breaking down the cup lids after EVERY USE. I included three different styles we use at home but all lids will slightly vary so on the cups you have at home, either A) investigate and make sure you are taking it apart as far as you possibly can. Or, B) look up the disassembly instructions for the specific cup online.



A couple more tips to ensure your kids are only drinking what you’re intending {i.e. no mold!} –

  1. Hand washing is fine, but every now and then {maybe at least once or twice a week?} you really should disinfect the pieces – either put them in a pot of boiling water, throw them in the dishwasher or buy a sterilizer. I had this one. It’s less than $20 and you just stick it in the microwave. Super efficient.
  2. After you wash your cups, DO NOT put them back together or in the cabinet until they are fully dry. Doing so causes molding. I know no one likes leaving stuff out on the counter, but Target has these cute drying racks that make it a little easier to look at.
  3. We keep a Contigo water bottle filled with water for each of our kids in the fridge, easy access for them, at all times. This is the water bottle that we found the magnets in the mouthpiece last night. Don’t become complacent. If your kids are still young enough that they don’t realize the danger in sticking things where they don’t belong, monitor their cups and give them a quick check before handing them over to your kiddo. It takes a matter of seconds but could very easily prevent an accident.

I hope you found this to be helpful! PLEASE help spread the word. Share with other moms. Pin and keep it for later if you plan to have kids. Send to your daycare. These are quick and easy tips that are just another way to keep our kiddos safe and healthy!

Until next time,
Amanda

5 thoughts on “The dirty deets of sippy cups.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s